Wednesday, June 7, 2017

OK, this is the POPTONE! An Interview with Kevin Haskins on his post-Bauhaus revival tour

Kevin Haskins needs no introduction. This year the legendary drummer for Bauhaus, Love and Rockets, and Tones on Tail has reunited with former bandmate Daniel Ash (vocals and guitar) and his daughter Diva (bass) to form the supergroup Poptone — referencing the Public Image Limited song "Poptones" — who will be performing a career retrospective of his bands' songs. 

For many this is a dream show, as Tones on Tail hasn't performed since the early '80s. I remember  listening to "Rain" and "Lions" while languidly laying in the folded-down backseat of my 1982 Dodge Aries woody station wagon, staring out into a 2 a.m. sky through the rear windows and writing in my composition notebook all the lush poetries that come from the nocturnal stirrings of youth. Let us not forget the afternoon bike rides while singing to the Love and Rockets album Express and glimmering on the inside with verve and a sense of mystique. 

I was curious to know more about this long-awaited resurgence from Kevin Haskins, as I always sort of viewed him as a wallflower in terms of his other more vociferous bandmates from the past. A quick and humble interview prior to their Regency Ballroom show in San Francisco is what I got from Mr. Haskins, and I couldn't be more pleased to experience this sonic rarity live. 


Poptone


I read in different interviews that Daniel Ash had a revelation in the early hours of morning about how he wanted to do live shows again after a decade in hiatus. What was your reaction when he wanted to do Tones on Tail again? To me, the Tones on Tail fans I know have been dying to see you tour once again and always wondered why it didn't happen sooner. 

Basically [Daniel Ash] wanted to play songs that he had written and sang on, so that really formed the set list. However, the majority of songs are TOT. I am very pleased that we are playing predominantly TOT songs. I know from talking to people I bump into at shows that they have been anticipating hearing Tones on Tail music live for a long time. I really love the music of TOT and it's very exciting and fulfilling playing those songs again. 

Tones on Tail was such an incandescent and dynamic project. It's still so evocative and fresh today. Why was it so short-lived and close-kept back when you first started? I know you only toured Europe and the U.S. once. 

It was down to musical differences for the most part.



The Poptone tour seems very well received so far! The footage I've seen looks like it's a really well-executed show and there has been so much excitement buzzing about it. How does it feel performing these Tones on Tail songs live after 3 decades? 

It's a great deal of fun and I'm happy that people who were either too young, or missed seeing our various bands, get to hear the songs live.

What is [original Tones on Tail bassist] Glenn Campling up to these days? Why was he not interested in resurrecting these songs? How did your daughter get involved in the project? I know she was in Blackblack.

I'm not sure what Glenn is up to. I think that he's working as a graphic artist. He designed our current Tones on Tail shirts, which I think look fantastic. We didn't approach Glenn or David J as it felt more appropriate to have a neutral bass player. I couldn't really picture either of them playing each other's basslines. Diva also brings a different dynamic to the table, which is fresh and exciting.

Tones on Tail: Glenn Campling, Daniel Ash, Kevin Haskins


It must be a truly unique experience playing these career-defining songs with your daughter. You must get along very well! What's the dynamic like?

It's quite surreal at times, glancing to my right and seeing her play on stage with me! We get along really well and share similar interests. She has a beautiful old soul and inspires me almost every day.

Returning to your older material, how does it feel in today's music scene? Does it feel like the "scene" used to be better years ago? Are there any newer acts you are into these days? 

Thankfully our music feels very fresh and relevant still. I'm really into our current support band called Pow!
Love and Rockets

What do you like to do in your off time? What does a day in the life of Kevin Haskins look like?

It depends what I'm doing career-wise. Poptone has completely absorbed all my time for the past three months. It's incredible the amount of work it takes, especially as we're very hands-on. 

Has there ever been a moment when you have been out in public and one of your songs from your previous projects comes on and it becomes a surreal moment for you? 

Not really, although [I was] surprised to hear our songs in Urban Outfitters.

You've been composing for film and video games for quite some time now, since 1998. Are you working on any projects right now?

I placed the composing on the back burner for the last two years to work on my coffee table book. It's coming out in October and is called Bauhaus Undead. It's a lot of photos, drawings, writings from the band, and assorted memorabilia. The content is exceptional and unique. I'm very excited that it's finally being published! It will be available on Cleopatra Records, Amazon, and selected book stores.

It seems like every major city in the U.S. is suffering from gentrification or a homogenization in terms of the arts and subculture. What is your take on the current scene/mood in L.A. these days? 

Not happy about the current urbanization of Hollywood.

What are your favorite songs to revisit on this tour?

Mainly the Tones on Tail material because it's so eclectic and unique.


I've read that Bauhaus and the like didn't set out to make necessarily "goth" music, but it just sort of placed in that category. How does it feel to be a part of so many people's romantic memories of "goth" music?


It doesn't really concern me as to which category we are placed in. I feel blessed to have had and to continue having such an incredible career. I feel truly blessed and grateful every day. 
A young Kevin and Daniel in the inimitable Bauhaus


Poptone is currently on tour! Make sure you get out there to see them! 
GO!





No comments:

Post a Comment